Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Imperfect Perfectionist


Tuesday I asked, "What's on your desk?"

Maybe one good question deserves another: Are you cluttered or simply prepared for the worst?

I am a naturally curious person who always wants to find a use for everything. (politically correct translation: "easily amused and distracted like an above average two-year-old") This leads to some interesting scenarios when you remember the privileged access I have to garbage via my profession. Ten days ago I couldn't help but dig a plastic bottle out of the recycle bin to construct a portable home for a Chrysalis that I found during my cleaning rounds. I doubt it will complete the metamorphosis but I'm waiting to find out anyway.

It's strange trying to wrestle and reconcile the dual personality traits of being a saver (some say clutterbug, I just say I'm prepared) and a neat freak. Last winter I used some spare styrofoam and cardboard parts to build a desk cabinet for the tea and granola that I like to keep stocked and handy. That lasted fine until I actually needed something that wasn't on the top and in my quest to select the desired piece from my snack inventory I collapsed the whole thing and it fell into the trash can, which is where I and the styrofoam were first acquainted.

You may also rightly conclude that I'm cheap, or if you're kind you'd say frugal. The only things on the list of my desk items that I personally bought are the Nalgene bottle, the dry food/beverage supplies, the pictures, and one of the picture frames.

Even though I could easily survive a severe storm overnight in my office, let's just conclude in general by agreeing that I'm not cluttered, just prepared for the worst.

But what if the "worst case" isn't a natural disaster but rather the dread of having a cluttered desk? How do I prepare for that?

3 comments:

Jennifer Poole said...

you're very prepared. I know, because you happen to live in the same house with me. And... we're married! Always a good combination. Anyhoo, I feel secure knowing I'm with someone who knows how to make something out of nothing, and isn't out to spend all your money on nothing because you think it's something.

Kevin R. Poole said...

Hello Cousin, Welcome to the blog world. I just saw your kind comments today on my blog, which I must say I have neglected for quite some time now.

Your topic here is dear to my heart. When I lived in the dorm with Sounds, I lived with a guy who was a minimalist. He did not require much, and what he had was not worth much, but he lived in a state that I envied and mocked. He was able to realize that less clutter created more space in an already cramped room, less cleaning, and a simple frame of mind. He rubbed off on me as now I cannot stand clutter.

Glad to see your posting these days. I'm going to add you google reader. We need to get your dad posting eh, and make sure that mine is not :)

Lance said...

Your dorm was an inviting and homey place if I remember right.

Controlling clutter seems to be a constant battle with kids. So I get my OCD outlet at work, cleaning and tidying the church building. At home we just try to be practical and I'm learning not to conclude that all messes are the results of a spiritual problem.

I also had an apartment buddy in college that showed up from overseas with everything he owned in an Army style backpack and a couple Rubbermaid totes. Him and two other guys lived in a room smaller than my current office (probably 10x12).

Meanwhile, my roommate and I had enough books and clothes between the two of us to supply a small consignment shop. Come to think of it, that could have been a good work-study job.